Week of December 11, 2017in 5th
Welcome to a new week!! What an exciting surprise we received on Saturday! SNOW!! I hope everyone had an opportunity to enjoy this wonderful surprise with their families!!
On a different note, please speak to your child about being "kind" to everyone. As the days are getting closer to Christmas, the students' behavior in the 5th grade is declining. We have had several conversations in the classroom about students not being kind to one another. We talk a lot in the 5th grade, that you don't have to be friends with everyone, but you MUST RESPECT everyone. We also talk about, "if you don't have anything nice to say, then please don't say it at all." Please remind your child about this. Thank you.
Here are the lessons for this week:
Language Arts-Week of December 11, 2017:
In Reading, students are continuing to read: Hana's Suitcase. This week they will be learning about different text structures in the book (Descriptive structures, Chronological structures, and Compare/Contrast structures).
- Descriptive Structures: locate adjectives, words and phrases that describe the topic.
- Chronological Structures: words that signal sequence, use of dates and numbers.
- Compare/Contrast Structure: words that show how events and topics are similar and different.
Students will use their CORE novel and independent reading book to find these structures. They will work with the teacher, with a partner, in small groups and independently.
In Writing, students will begin to "map" out their expert topic using a graphic organizer. They will plan out their "expert topic" and the 3 subtopics for their expository essay. They will write down their topic sentence for each subtopic, the "attention getter" for their essay, and their thesis statement.
Homework for this week:
- "Reading Log"
- Read for 30 minutes everynight
- Write down at least 3 new or interesting vocabulary words everyday
- Write a 5th grade summary each night
- Have a parent sign everynight
- Reading Log is due: Friday, December 15, 2017
In Other News:
- Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - Annual Ziti Dinner (5:30 - 7:00 PM)
- NO 21st Century Afterschool Program on the following days this week:
- Tuesday, December 12, 2017
- Friday, December 15, 2017
5TH GRADE STUDENTS AND FAMILIES ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!