Welcome to the last full school week of December 2017!!!! I can't believe how fast the school year is going already!! I just want to remind all parents that homework WILL be given this week, but it will look a little different. They will receive homework on Monday that is DUE on TUESDAY and then they will be given homework on Tuesday that is DUE on THURSDAY.
Here are the lessons for this week:
Language Arts-Week of December 18, 2017:
In Reading, students will continue to read articles and watch video clips on the Great Chicago Fire of 1871. They will also continue working in their "Informational Book Clubs". These are groups of readers (usually 4-6 students) who meet frequently together to discuss articles THEY have choosen to read and topics THEY are interested in. While engaged in Book Clubs, students will use a variety of reading strategies to plan and prepare for what they want to discuss with their classmates. The focus of these "clubs" is to have authentic, open-ended, student-led discussions.
In Writing, students will continue to use a graphic organizer (Cornell Notes) to take notes about their topic they are researching about. This week, students will start to organize the notes in their Google Doc accounts to prepare to write their research essay after vacation. We will visit the library 2 times this week.
Homework for this week:
- Monday (December 18th) - "Snowman Poem" - DUE Tuesday (December 19th)
- Tuesday (December 19th) - "A Snowy Day" (picture with detailed paragraph describing the picture) - DUE Thursday (December 21st)
- NO homework for Thursday night.
In Other News:
- Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - Band Concert @ 6:00 PM (Grades 5-8)
- Friday, December 22, 2017 - Early Dismissal (12:50 PM)
- Friday, December 22, 2017 - NO 21st Century After School Program
I want to wish all of my 6th grade students, parents and families a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!! See you in 2018!!!!!
6TH GRADE STUDENTS AND FAMILIES ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!