Language Arts-Week of October 03, 2016
Welcome families to the first full week of Fall!! Nights will be getting cooler and leaves will begin to fall off the trees!! Please make sure all students start to come to school with a sweatshirt, sweater or light jacket because we will continue to have outdoor recess everyday unless it is raining. If students want to wear their sweaters or sweatshirts in school, they MUST be NAVY BLUE. Thank you in advance.
Lessons for this week:
In Reading, students are continuing to work on making inferences about a character and understanding their character traits. I will continue to model the strategy of inferencing this week using the book Frindle. Then the students will make inferences about a main character in their independent reading book.
In CORE, students will read chapters 5-8 in the book, Firebug. Students will work on analyzing the setting. This will be done whole class with the teacher.
In Writing, students will be creating a list of their "10 favorite memories". They will then choose their favorite memory, and write an entertaining beginning. This will be the pre-writing part of their personal narrative for the 1st Marking Period.
Language Arts Homework for this week:
- Writing Prompt (Students will write a narrative story about being a famous detective hired to investigate why the school lunches tasted so awful last week.)
- Stories must be at least 1-2 pages.
- The writing prompt is due on: Friday, October 07, 2016.
In Other News:
- Monday, October 03, 2016 - NO SCHOOL (Rosh Hashanah)
- Monday, October 10, 2016 - NO SCHOOL (Columbus Day)
- Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - NO SCHOOL (Yom Kippur)
- Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - Fieldtrip to Sturbridge Village (Information to follow. Keep your eyes open for information and a permission slip that will be sent out this week.)
5TH GRADE ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!